Return to the FEEDBACK ArchiveForward to the Current FEEDBACK discuss

mmmmCervezaMonday 20th of September 2004 09:58:16 AM
what's w/ all the asians? - why are most of the pictures on this website of asian people? not saying that's good or bad.. just something that seems kinda strange, considering the wide variety of languages. and some of the pictures are jsut really bad (bad lighting, and the person is all sweaty and stuff.
mmmmCervezaMonday 20th of September 2004 10:03:07 AM
- [img]http://www.phrasebase.c../../images/home/4.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.phrasebase.c../../images/home/7.jpg[/img]
jeffTuesday 21st of September 2004 06:55:38 AM
Laughing.... - Hey, that's pretty funny... all sweaty and stuff. Here's why the pictures are mostly of Asians... I live in Asia, and all the pictures are of my friends... I don't have budget to hire models.. So you'll have to settle for sweaty people.

mmmmCervezaTuesday 21st of September 2004 07:48:26 AM
- [quote]Originally posted by jeffremove some of the sweaty people[/quote]

counts me out
HisGirlFridaySunday 26th of September 2004 10:18:03 AM
- I never really noticed...maybe i just never paid attention? Is there really alot of asian pictures...i've only seen one....
bennylinThursday 30th of September 2004 12:42:47 PM
- huahahahah (or mwuahahahaha ?)
i didn't notice that simply because i'm one of them :D
sweaty and "stuff" = healty >< obesity
which one do you prefer?

my college have about 1/3 of its student come from Asia. generally i think Seattle is really a "familiar" city for me
Leto_AtreidesTuesday 09th of November 2004 07:05:33 AM
cool - [quote]Originally posted by jeff

But, send me your picture, and I'll post it there. In fact, any member of Phrasebase who sends me their pic and wants to be part of that homepage random pic page, I extend the offer to you as well... real people, real interests... send me your pic, and I'll put you on the rotation list...( and perhaps remove some of the sweaty people )[/quote]

I have been here on this discuss for quite a short while, but I have seen almost every face possible @ home of the phrasebase site.
So I am glad that Jeff has introduced his new and smashing idea; to show the faces of members:)

(The Asians didn't really bother me though, in fact they were kind of funny)
SatsukiWednesday 10th of November 2004 08:59:19 PM
- I agree; we're all quite funny.
TJTJWednesday 10th of November 2004 09:05:52 PM
- I think there are a LOT of goodlooking asian girls, but this is rather personal.
MarjaWednesday 10th of November 2004 09:20:10 PM
- I think if you go with the idea of having pics of the members, you could have a picture to represent each country/culture/language to show the diversity of people who are involved in Phrasebase.
What are peoples thoughts on this?
TJTJWednesday 10th of November 2004 09:26:02 PM
- [quote]Originally posted by mekare

What are peoples thoughts on this?[/quote]

Like the sound of that... but its going to be optional right?
AnyaThursday 11th of November 2004 12:55:58 AM
- [quote]I think if you go with the idea of having pics of the members, you could have a picture to represent each country/culture/language to show the diversity of people who are involved in Phrasebase.
What are peoples thoughts on this? [/quote]
Yes, great idea Mekare! And maybe we could have themes? For different seasons, it would be neat to see how Northern and Southern hemispheres differ during the same time of the year! if people are up for a collective photography project?

And this brings me to another thought....Some of us live close enough together to meet! Maybe we can organize regional get-togethers? I think the people on Phrasebase are amazing and if I ever get time-off to travel, it would be wonderful to visit. Group impromptu photos are fun! Thoughts?

TJTJThursday 11th of November 2004 01:24:14 AM
- Yeah that sounds like a good idear!! I already know Leto Atreidis.. Are there any other Dutch people?

Another idear could be, is that when people go on a vacation to lets say The Netherlands, that i for example can sho them around for 1 day. That would bring the Tourist in this case closer to the culture and language.
The_ReaperThursday 11th of November 2004 01:26:33 AM
- Not a bad idea! I don't see the problem with the whole regional get-together suggestion. If they could be organised, it would bring lots of people together who could really get along with each other due to at least one common interest.
Like the photo suggestion as well, though don't think I'll post one for a while....the latest one I have of myself is from about 3 or 4 years ago!
Leto_AtreidesThursday 11th of November 2004 01:48:57 AM
eh? - I don't know about that.
It would be nice to meet eachother and all, but there will obviously be a dispute about where to meet.
The_ReaperThursday 11th of November 2004 03:00:36 AM
- I know it'd be difficult to organise a location, but I'm sure that something could be worked out.
mugshotFriday 12th of November 2004 04:03:17 PM
The pictures.... - I love the pictures :o)I live in a vibrant muticultural city and never tire of seeing such diversity in how ppl look and the culture they live in.

But the idea of members being on the page is a great idea, it means we can get to see the diversity of ppl who are members of this site :o)
Leto_AtreidesSaturday 20th of November 2004 06:32:25 PM
- Is it going to happen?
AnyaSaturday 20th of November 2004 10:05:01 PM
Regional Conferences - If people who are interested in having a regional conference could post more information and their interest here, I will get something organized.
Here is what I would like to know:

1)Area you primarily reside in:
Asia
East Europe
West Europe
Middle East
North Africa
South Africa
Australia/NZ
Other Island (and which body of water)
North America:
  1) Canada (East, West, Central)
  2) US (East, West, Midwest)
  3) Mexico
South America
  Which country?
Antarctica (although we would have a 9 month reunion then)

2) How far you are able to travel and which mode of transportation is available to you:
e.g. 4-8 hours by car
   ride a bike there
   take a train
   take a bus

3) Better days/vacation times:
e.g. I get a week off before New Years.

4) Are you interested in helping to organize a meeting in your region?
e.g. I can look for location in a nearby city and contact those closest to me.

Stay tuned...I'm thinking of the possibilities!
Oh what I wouldn't give to work for the next 1900 hours straight, take my salary and run around the world. In the meantime, we'll have to settle for centralized locations.
What do you guys think?
chinita96Friday 31st of December 2004 11:49:17 AM
- I think this would be a great idea.. and the picture idea is a nice touch. It'd be really nice to see group photos for the homepage images. Then we won't have to look at us asians... I know I get sick of my picture sometimes. I have to change it every now and again :P

Anya, you know I am up for anything. Let me know when and where and I'll try to make the one in North America - East. Suggestion for places to meet: anywhere they have tea :P
AnyaSunday 02nd of January 2005 01:22:33 AM
- I think we should go for it. Try one in the East first, figure out how best to organise them and then continue globally.

I am looking into this...we basically need to find out who would like to come and what the central location is.
The driving/commuting distance should be reasonable to make it more accessible. Northeast should be the pilot project, since it is closest to us.
Let's see what we can do!
_Anya

snotraMonday 11th of April 2005 11:01:56 AM
what r we here for? - what a gret topic of discussion? lol; r we here to disuss the pics or lerning the langs? i m surprised to see thr amount of responces! quite shocking!!?? well all picturs are good as long as they are not of animals :) i think much importance is being given to a minor topic.. well thats a personal thinking.enjoy.....anything u want to.
Snotra.
AnyaMonday 11th of April 2005 04:58:55 PM
- Snotra,
This topic was started before the new updates to the front page were made...so it is more or less history since Jeff changed the format :) So don't worry, all the user's pictures are great!

alequin0923Monday 04th of July 2005 07:48:03 AM
Pictures and Meetups - The suggestions are great! I am suggesting if Jeff can create like a scrolling marquee of pictures of all the members of Phrasebase on the home page. like in friendster.

with regard to meetups...hope we can have in asia too...