Return to the LANGUAGE TEACHERS ArchiveForward to the Current LANGUAGE TEACHERS discuss

tinkerbSunday 28th of November 2004 12:57:04 AM
Question for teachers -

What type of certification, if any, were you required to get before being allowed to teach in your country?

Typically, does this vary by the age group you teach?

How much did that program include information about newer language technologies?
NeilSunday 16th of January 2005 06:43:11 PM
qualifications - Hi Tinkerbell!

I teach at a teacher training college in Austria. Teachers for primary and lower secondary (10-14 year olds) have to complete a 3-year training course in subject studies and other things before they are allowed to teach. At the moment this is a non-university institution, although the qualifications are generously recognised in other European countries, but this will change as our college will become a university in 2007.
All students have to complete the ECDL (European Computer Driving licence) as part of their course,
I hope this helps.

tinkerbTuesday 18th of January 2005 09:40:27 AM
Thanks Neil!

What exactly is a ECDL? Is it a computer-based test or is it for navigating a computer?
neo_phoneixMonday 23rd of May 2005 04:30:35 PM
In New Zealand - In New Zealand (where I live) to become a teacher of Primary School aged children (5-12) all you have to do is attend a Teacher's Traning College but if you want to become a Secondary School teacher as well as attending teacher's training college you have to have a releveant degree in the subject you want to teach. I hope this helps!