Icelandic Pronounciation Help Needed How Are These Pronounced?

Phrasebase Archive

Return to the ICELANDIC Archive
Forward to the Current ICELANDIC Discussion


schneelocke
Thursday 17th of November 2005 08:04:43 AM
Pronounciation help needed: Hi,

I need some help with the proper pronounciation of a few words.

My Icelandic teacher (yes, I started an offline course a few weeks ago in a small group, and had my third lesson today ^^) mentioned today that when certain letters (l, m, n) are followed by certain other letters (p, t, k), the former become voiceless, but I have no idea how to pronounce a voiceless "l", for example.

Examples she gave were "stelpa", "mjólka", "lampi" and "banki"; does anyone know if there are sound recordings somewhere that show how these should be pronounced?

I've looked around on Wikipedia a bit, which has sound samples for lots of different sounds occuring in spoken languages, but couldn't find these - or even any mention of them.

If anyone could help me here, I'd be *really* happy. :)

Takk! :)


lexicon
Thursday 17th of November 2005 08:33:13 AM
Yeah, I don't get it either. I thought I could do it, but when I said the words aloud I couldn't help but voice them. Sorry I can't help, but I'm very curious as well.


einhar
Friday 18th of November 2005 07:30:14 AM
Originally posted by schneelocke


Hi,

I need some help with the proper pronounciation of a few words.

My Icelandic teacher (yes, I started an offline course a few weeks ago in a small group, and had my third lesson today ^^) mentioned today that when certain letters (l, m, n) are followed by certain other letters (p, t, k), the former become voiceless, but I have no idea how to pronounce a voiceless "l", for example.

Examples she gave were "stelpa", "mjólka", "lampi" and "banki"; does anyone know if there are sound recordings somewhere that show how these should be pronounced?

I've looked around on Wikipedia a bit, which has sound samples for lots of different sounds occuring in spoken languages, but couldn't find these - or even any mention of them.

If anyone could help me here, I'd be *really* happy. :)

Takk! :)I don´t know what your teacher is talking about. There must be some misunderstanding here.

Let's look at your examples.

The first four letters in "stelpa" are pronounced the same way as the first five letters in the English word 'stealth' and then you just pronounce it -stealpaa-.

"mjólka" is pronounced like this -mjoulkaa-.

"lampi" is pronounced the same way as in English but with an extra "i" in the end.

The consonants in "banki" sounds the same as in English. But the "a" here is pronounced like Icelandic "á" or 'ou' in English, as in 'house'.

There is slight diffrence in accent around Akureyri (a town up north)on 3 of these words. Some Icelanders (in the Westfjords) pronounce "banki" the way it is in English. That is they don´t say it like this "bánki" they just say 'bank + i' and this 'i' is pronounced like i in 'is'.
"A" is ALWAYS pronounced like the 'a' in the English name 'Ian'. Exceptions are when it stands before the consonants "ng" and "nk" then it is pronounced as "á". And these vowels (e,i,o,u and y) also get an extra " ´ " on the top of their head when "ng" or "nk" is after them - ONLY in the pronouncuation!!!


Decano
Saturday 26th of November 2005 09:55:55 AM
Sorry to bother, but could someone help me pronounce this too? I used it as a title for my short story but I don't know how to pronounce it.

Sál matmađur

It probably has bad grammar errors and stuff, but please help me


einhar
Sunday 27th of November 2005 05:36:18 AM
Originally posted by Deavai


Sorry to bother, but could someone help me pronounce this too? I used it as a title for my short story but I don't know how to pronounce it.

Sál matmađur

It probably has bad grammar errors and stuff, but please help me Sál matmađur = Soul madmaathur.
ou pronounced as in house and th as in the.


schneelocke
Saturday 03rd of December 2005 07:21:47 AM
Originally posted by einhar
I don´t know what your teacher is talking about. There must be some misunderstanding here.


Thanks for your help. But I'm actually even more confused now, because she's originally from Iceland as well (even though she came to Germany a couple of years ago and now lives here), so I can't just dismiss what she said as incorrect (which I probably would now if she wasn't a native speaker as well).

Ah well, I'll ask her again about it. Thanks!

Return to the ICELANDIC Archive
Forward to the Current ICELANDIC Discussion

Archive