Spanish Questions And Comments Building A More Helpful Spanish Discussion

Phrasebase Archive

Return to the SPANISH Archive
Forward to the Current SPANISH Discussion

Maryam
Tuesday 30th of November 2004 07:24:17 AM
Questions and Comments: What aspects of the Spanish Language do you need to better understand? Please post here your doubts and suggestions. It will help us focus on specific areas that you may need to improve.
Thanks.

tashiberg
Sunday 05th of December 2004 10:32:47 PM
troubled...: Hola. Como estas?
I really like spanish and I have taken many levels in high school, however that has since passed me by and it's become such a struggle for me to get back into the language. One thing I remember however is that conjugations were so easy on paper and so difficult to speak. If you have any suggestions or would like to help me re-learn spanish, please look me up! I miss the language and would like to regain my strength with it!

Gracias por todo!

Tashi

Maryam
Monday 06th of December 2004 05:14:48 AM
HI there tashiberg,

Welcome to the Spanish forum. I hope that you find it useful and tell us also what you would like us to add to make it better.
Regarding the verbs, I know they are not so easy to memorize or retain especially the subjuntivo and the irregular verbs. Out of this, it's pretty much like any other language: there are tips that help retain spanish verbs, it's true, but the best way is saying them aloud, like when we were at school. By saying them aloud we memorize them better and uncounciously appear easier to our memory when we are speaking in Spanish. I have seen some students trying to follow different patterns but finally they always choose the traditional way. So I would be glad to help you remember those verbs and terminations, tenses and their irregularities. During this month I will be able to be on chat but probably it will happen after a week or so. Drop me a line at my inbox so we keep in touch.
Take care,

Maryam

Corazon
Monday 06th of December 2004 09:37:00 AM
Los proverbios, los refranes: Hallo Maryam,
I would like to learn more proverbs, sayings which Spanish and Latinamerican people are using everyday.
I read your subject about it in forum, but there were few of them.
I would be very happy to have more, although, I have a collection for the proverbs and sayings, I have no idea, which of them are really used in everydays conversation.
Thanks a lot,
Corazon

Maryam
Saturday 11th of December 2004 07:47:23 AM
Great, Corazon,

It's true that we have plenty of sayings (refranes) and proverbs but actually only a few of them are really used, the others having been left aside through time or just used in literary writings.

Let me gather some more and I will post them at the forum (those that we use for common converations...)

Sheepmanger
Thursday 03rd of February 2005 02:25:56 PM
My question is where to begin. I have no prior instruction in any language other than my native and the sound is not working on my computer...do you have any basic (start from scratch) lessons in spanish?
My thanks,
Carl

Maryam
Saturday 05th of February 2005 01:01:37 AM

Originally posted by Sheepmanger

My thanks,
Carl

Maryam
Saturday 05th of February 2005 01:04:42 AM
If your audio doesn´t work... that´s a bit of problem but check this site which will show you how to pronounce (without audio) the most common phrases in Spanish. Until then I think this can help you out. http://www.ielanguages.com/spanish1.html

Originally posted by Sheepmanger

My thanks,
Carl

Sheepmanger
Saturday 05th of February 2005 01:20:30 AM
Many thanks: muy bien, mucho gracias senorita/senora....one more question...is there a d/l I can get for spanish sybols? I don't have a programable keyboard but assume there must be a system set up somewhere for using function keys or the like.
Carl

Maryam
Saturday 05th of February 2005 01:34:59 AM
If you have windows xp you can use the feature "add keyboard" and " see keyboard" while you type. If not, check the following sites:

If you need more help regarding this, please let me know

morprussell
Sunday 06th of February 2005 10:42:09 AM
El Subjuntivo: Hola, tengo una pregunta sobre el subjuntivo. Sé que se usa cuando hay, duda, deseo, emoción, una expresión impersonal, pedidos, ojalá, etc...
Veo en mis libros y por la web que para usar el subjuntive la frase necesita tener dos sujetos, pero lo he visto usado en frases como,

"Espero que yo tenga buena suerte mañana." o

"Espero que yo tengo buena suerte mañana."

¿el unico sujeto es "yo" verdad? Por favor dime cuál es corecta. Muchas gracias de nuevo.

Morgan

Maryam
Thursday 10th of February 2005 01:09:15 AM
La respuesta correcta es " espero que tenga suerte...." Generalmente no se incluye el pronombre personal, en este caso "yo" porque se sobreentiende por la forma verbal y personal que le acompaña.

Incluiré un apartado dedicado al "subjuntivo" próximamente en mi blog, así espero que lo visites de vez en cuando. Si tienes más dudas, házmelo saber.

Saludos

Originally posted by morprussell

"Espero que yo tenga buena suerte mañana." o

"Espero que yo tengo buena suerte mañana."

Morgan

alequin0923
Thursday 10th of February 2005 06:12:18 AM
Spanish: Yo quiero aprender palabras que son "slangs" particularmente de España y America Latina. :-)

morprussell
Friday 11th of February 2005 03:40:32 PM
Hi again. Can someone post an explanation of when "y" changes to "e" in Spanish sentences?

example: He estado a España e Italia. (I think I did this right?)

I know there are others changes like this as well. I suspect it has to do with the vowel, but I'm not sure. Maybe it's like "a" changing to "an" in English? If it's not too complicated can you explain when these changes need to be made? I hope there aren't too many.

I appreciate your help.
Morgan

Maryam
Tuesday 15th of February 2005 08:29:30 PM
Alequin: Alequin, te recomiendo el siguiente tutorial: http://www.notam02.no/~hcholm/altlang/ht/Spanish.html

Es el más amplio sobre slang (argot en castellano)

Originally posted by alequin0923

Maryam
Tuesday 15th of February 2005 08:33:41 PM
morprusell: Ok, morprusell, yes effectively, it has to do with the vowel. It is more a question of esthetics than grammar.
So when you want to say "y" and the following word starts with "i" you have to change it to "e". But there are others.
Here is the explanation:

Amigos e hijos
culpables e inocentes

And the same happens with the conjunction "o" (or). Have a look:

Esto o lo otro.
Mi casa o tu casa.

But: unos u otros (not unos o otros)
Amelia u Ovidio (and not Amelia o Ovidio)

Regards, Maryam

Originally posted by morprussell

example: He estado a España e Italia. (I think I did this right?)

I appreciate your help.
Morgan

morprussell
Friday 18th of February 2005 08:06:40 AM
Yes that was helpful. Thank you very much.
Morgan

Maryam
Tuesday 15th of March 2005 02:35:46 AM
Allrighty then:)

Supermouse
Thursday 17th of March 2005 06:27:16 PM
Someone did a post on the misc. forum, a story in many different languages. I found that very useful, to be able to compare the English to the Spanish directly like that.

I am still very much a beginner. I'm not concentrating on conjugating verbs but rather trying to pick up whole phrases, because I learn better that way. I enjoy trying to puzzle out the meanings of written Spanish, and spoken - there is a lot of Spanish radio out there! http://www.multilingualbooks.com/online-radio-spanish.html has many links.

If I don't understand a phrase, I use babelfish to try to guess a rough meaning, though obviously it's not very good for getting good Spanish back out for a reply. I google search for sentence fragments to find real Spanish on websites to see if it's what I'm looking for. Phrasebase, with its whole phrases written by native speakers, is better.

The Spanish lessons on here are very useful. Mucho gracias! Abrazos.

JMPH
Friday 06th of May 2005 10:33:50 AM
Verb tenses: It is hard for me to form tenses with verbs. Is there something you could do to help me and others with that?

Former_Member
Tuesday 19th of July 2005 11:38:31 PM
Okay, I haven't started learning Spanish yet, but I will in August when I start school.
Since I know nothing about Spanish, I was wondering if anyone knows a few sites I could go to about the grammar & how to pronounce the words/letters?

The_Corporal
Friday 19th of August 2005 11:24:53 PM
Am new to Spanish: Hi, I'm a 16 year old homeschool student who is trying to learn Spanish. I really am new to other languages and am starting out from no knowledge of Spanish. Any suggestions on where to start?

pableras28
Saturday 27th of August 2005 04:59:10 AM

http://www.wordreference.com This web is a great dictionary English - Spanish, you should have this constantly open. :D

Those are some webs I've found by just typing "learn Spanish" at the google, if you type "learn Spanish free" you'll ensure you'll find free webs. You can use other search engines like Yahoo or so, just search. :)

cotton_candy007
Sunday 11th of September 2005 10:55:07 AM
Well i started learning spanish 2 years ago but i kept putting it off. Well i have many amigos who are hispanic and well i try to learn spanish so i can understand them and i can only understand some. Anyways what helps me out is listening to spanish music. I like Reggaeton and some other latin music mostly because my friends listen to it when i'm around. I also read books on learning spanish and take classes. Also i watch the news on the spanish channel and there is also a show- Amarte Asi- that i watch on one of the spanish channels i have.

What is hard is mostly the verbs but i just practice and it becomes a little easier.

But this site helps. There's other sites i use that help out a lot too.

Tulipanka
Thursday 15th of September 2005 03:34:23 AM
Hola a tod@s!

I found a site with lots of help to our doubts of spanish grammar.It looks realy ok so here it is:www.spanishfree.org

lorelai
Thursday 15th of September 2005 04:26:53 AM
Muchas gracias, Tulipanka! Esto sitio parece muy interesante!

jvz8a
Saturday 24th of September 2005 11:36:54 AM
Originalmente dicho por lorelai [color=red]¡[/color]Muchas gracias, Tulipanka! Est[color=red]e[/color] sitio parece muy interesante! ;)

Return to the SPANISH Archive